Don’t let this recipe fool you. This double chocolate peppermint waffle is both gluten free and vegan. And you know what, it’s damn good.
Coming up with new recipes all the time isn’t so easy. I often look through magazines and cut out recipes I want to try, but I always put my own twist on them. You’ll find bins of cut out recipes in my closet that I have yet to try, but oh do they look tasty. When I find a favorite recipe, I tape it to the inside of my kitchen cabinets so that I don’t have to go searching for it. I think this recipe will be one of the recipes I tape in there.
For Christmas every year we have a crowd: kids, grandkids, great-grandkids, it’s just as honor. Who else gets to say they have 25+ people at their house to celebrate? And not only for the day, we have people over for a week straight. It’s hard to keep them all fed and full. This recipe is easy, quick, and sure to make someone mad at you after you tell them the waffles were gluten free and vegan (even though they couldn’t tell the difference while they were eating them). It’s just the cutest dang Christmas waffle, perfect for Christmas morning.
Double Chocolate Peppermint
1 cup oat milk (or milk of choice), room temp
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup cassava flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup monk fruit sweetener (or sweetener of choice)
3/4 cup unflavored sparkling water
1/4 cup avocado oil (or if not vegan, melted ghee works great)
3 -5 drops peppermint essential oil (or 1 tsp peppermint extract)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips (I used Lilly’s Dark Chocolate Chips)
Let’s Get Started
- Preheat your Waffleye Waffle Maker.
- In a medium bowl, mix together room temperature oat milk and vinegar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix cassava flour, coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- In the vinegar and milk mixture, whisk in sweetener of choice, sparkling water, avocado oil or ghee, peppermint, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Lightly grease your heated Waffleye Waffle Maker and add about 1 cup mix. Spread around evenly and cook for about 4 minutes, or until it stops steaming.
- Top with your favorite topping and enjoy!
- This recipe is easy to make with all purpose flour. Simply substitute the cassava and coconut flour for 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour.
Thanks for reading,