The post for this recipe has been a draft for far too long. The long awaited arrival is finally here (not that anyone was actually anticipating it, but you should have been because it’s pretty darn delicious).
This isn’t really a recipe as much as it is a suggestion. We have been craving strawberries recently, but specifically from Harry’s Berries. They are the juiciest, sweetest strawberries, period. To make these strawberry waffles, we simply whipped up a basic waffle batter (which means we used our favorite mix from Josie’s Best), added about 1 cup of diced strawberries and topped it with a homemade strawberry sauce. That’s it.
For those of you who prefer a waffle recipe as opposed to a mix, this is our favorite recipe below.
Strawberry WafflesDifficulty: Easy
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
6 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp vanilla (I always add a little extra)
2 eggs, separated
3 tbsp sugar
1 cup diced strawberries
- Strawberry Sauce
1 lb strawberries, diced
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/3 cup sugar
Let’s Get Started
- Preheat and lightly grease your Waffleye Waffle Maker.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk buttermilk, milk, vegetable oil, vanilla, and egg yolks until combined.
- In a separate bowl, using your hand mixer or mixer set on high, whisk the egg whites until soft peeks form. Add sugar and whisk until stiff-glossy peaks form.
*Note: if there is any egg yolk in the egg whites, they will not fluff.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in egg whites and then fold in strawberries.
- Add 1 cup batter to your Waffleye Waffle Maker and cook until it stops steaming — about 3 minutes. Serve warm with strawberry sauce.
- Strawberry Sauce
- Add all ingredients to a saucepan and bring to a boil, stir occasionally.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 20 – 30 minutes, or until sauce thickens.
- Serve over strawberry waffles and enjoy!