Cooking sandwiches in the waffle iron may be one of our favorite things. It doubles as a panini press, if you will humor that idea.
We love the idea of a Monte Cristo sandwich. It’s basically a French toast sandwich. If that doesn’t scream stoner food, we don’t know what does. But take this awesome invention and cook it in a waffle iron?! Come on man. This sandwich is savory, sweet, and full of flavor. And now, because we hate finding recipes and then scrolling for 10 minutes before we actually get to the recipe, here it is. But first, pictures.
The Best Monte Cristo
This waffled Monte Cristo sandwich is sure to make your taste buds sing. Two servings.
4 large slices of bread of choice (we used sliced sourdough)
2 tbsp dijon mustard
6 slices ham
6 slices turkey
2 slices swiss cheese
⅓ cup milk
2 tbsp all purpose flour
Jam for dipping
Powdered sugar for dusting
Let’s Get Started
- Preheat and lightly grease your Waffleye waffle maker.
- Spread ½ tbsp dijon over each slice of bread. Layer each sandwich with 3 slices of ham,
3 slices of turkey, and 1 slice of swiss cheese and the top piece of bread.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, and flour.
- Dredge the sandwiches the same way you would French toast, and place into your heated waffle iron. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until crispy and golden brown.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve with jam of choice.